Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Pasta Pancakes (Galettes de pâtes)

I was reading Chocolate and Zucchini this morning and saw a recipe for leftover rice. I thought I could do just as well with pasta - so I tried with Antonia's leftover angel hair.

1.5-2 c leftover pasta, chopped into small pieces
2 eggs, beaten
olive oil
salt
pepper
1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
1 small chili pepper, chopped fine (or dried chili flakes)
1 oz mozzarella, diced

I mixed the pasta, tomato,chili and egg together in a mixing bowl, then seasoned with salt and pepper. I stirred in the mozzarella into some of them (so my sweet Antonia could eat as well). In a skillet over medium heat, I brought some olive oil up to temperature for light frying.

It is just like making latkes, for those among you who have made them before :)

2 minutes on the first side, 1 minute on the second with a gentle, finessed flip in the middle.

I let them cool on a rack over a plate to let excess oil drip down.

The were really good - a perfect use for leftover pasta and "perfectly seasoned" to use the words of Antonia. The only thing I would do differently in the future is to use an oil with a higher smoke point - at one time there was a LOT of smoke in the kitchen

Postscript: These would be reallly good on the base of a little salad.

No comments: