Saturday, March 17, 2007

Davis Farmer's Market, back from hibernation.

Asparagus
Asparagus
Originally uploaded by monkeycat!.

It's time again. The Farmer's Market in Davis comes back to life in the spring when the farmers have more to offer than winter greens and apples. I bought a bunch of asparagus and a pound of king oyster mushrooms.

The asparagus were extremely tender - I only had to break off maybe 1cm of the ends. The mushrooms were so different than oysters. The man from Solano Mushroom Grower's, when I asked what to expect from these king oyster mushrooms, told me that they were like mild porcinis. Was he ever correct. They are so meaty its unsettling sometimes to think that I am eating mushrooms and not steak. I sauteed those with some garlic in olive oil for 3 or 4 minutes.

Antonia and I and Tilden went on a picnic with our comestibles to the Putah Creek Canal Reserve - just south of the vineyards on campus. There are picnic benches there and Tilden could roam around on his extended (50 ft.) rope-leash. All in all, a wonderful day.

Now, time to study.

No comments: